Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Finally Pictures From Charleston........ DAY 1

OK guys are you ready for lots of pictures?! I am breaking down by the days we were there so it will not take me all day to post pictures. You will see by these pictures why I LOVE Charleston! I love everything about it! The history, all the plantations,the old houses, the antiques, the food, shopping, and the beaches and marsh area that surrounds it! We left Tues. morning and stopped by Drayton Hall first. We have a yearly membership and I wanted to squeeze in 1 more trip before it expires. This is the 3rd time Karlton and I have been and we always discover new things about this place. I also wanted to go back to get plenty of pictures for a reason that I will reveal after I am done posting about our trip in a few days. But that is all I am saying for now.



Driving up to Drayton Hall. (Sorry about the quality of this pic. I was taking it through a very dirty windshield.)



Drayton Hall was built in the 1700's and is unchanged from the 1800's (since the civil war). Drayton Hall was the only house that survived the civil war. So it is like stepping back in time, it has no electric or plumbing to this day.







This is Karlton's FAVORITE picture! (above)



We went on the marsh walk.....






an walked all over the grounds. I think this was the first time that we have done that.






That is a well that you can see in the background and that we are standing in front of.






A 7 seat privy. Now we could use one of those in our house! A seat for everyone! Lol







Then we took our tour of the house. This is a pic. I took from inside looking out.










A couple of the inside.



































We walked to the river behind the house to take a little break.









It is so beautiful and relaxing back there.















After the plantation we went to eat at Poogans Porch in the Historic part of Charleston and then we walked the streets , which is one of our favorite things to do while we are there. All the streets are beautiful and unique. You never know what you will see looking down all the little alleys and in all the secret gardens.
















That was pretty much the first day.












3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh I just love Charleston!!!! Can't wait to see more pics!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Drayton Hall. I hope you'll renew your membership for another year. We're doing so much research and work on the house, that there is bound to be new information the next time you come! Jessica Garrett, Drayton Hall

Mama Bear said...

How fun, we were just saying we would love to take a vacation there. Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures.